Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WHY CANT YOU FILE AN EXTENSION FOR THE UPCOMING YEAR (2021) IN YOUR PRIOR YEAR HOME & BUSINESS SOFTWARE (2020)?

WHY CANT YOU FILE AN EXTENSION FOR THE UPCOMING YEAR (2021) IN YOUR PRIOR YEAR HOME & BUSINESS SOFTWARE (2020)?

It makes sense that if you need to file an extension, you probably haven't purchased the software yet.  This is the 2nd year that I've had to go to an outside source (other than Turbo Tax), just to file my 2021 extension. turbo Tax makes it so difficult and then you still have that "nasty" SERIAL RUNTIME ERROR that you wont claim, and it stops everything from moving forward! if you cant fix it after 3 or more years, then make "check for updates" optional because no one wants to complete a return and get to the end and cant file.... which is what just happened AGAIN when trying to file my 2021 extension! I hand only 20 minutes left to file and I went to an off-brand website and the extension was filed in 5 minutes for only $15. I am seriously considering trying other options than struggling every year with these same errors and oversights! PLEASE MAKE THIS SIMPLE to file an extension, in fact, your AMAZING software should automatically file a 7004 FOR EVRY business even if they don't request it because IT'S TOO DIFFICULT TO DO A SIMPLE TASK, and the software download is quite expensive so we shouldn't have to go to another site to be taken care of... And even your support rep didn't really know what to do.... MAKE THIS SIMPLE or I have no choice but to find other options. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

if you're going to use TT for 2021 why don't you just buy the software for 2021?

or download the extension from te IRS website and paper file.

also, some people might get confused and rather than filing for the current year accidentally file for the next year and not find out until it's too late that they don't have a valid extension. if they included payment then they have to go through the trouble of having to contact the iRS to move the payment. 

if another app offers this convenience, why not switch?  probably because other apps don't do it either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies