Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Allthethings
Returning Member

Why are my wages counted twice

Hi tax experts,

I'm in NJ with my spouse. My employer, based in CT, has given me a w2 with CT wages for the first two months of 2023 even though I did not earn any of this income in the state as I am a 100% remote worker (my wages were actually earned in a mix of NJ, NY, and VT as I mostly worked from my residence, but sometimes travelled to my mom's in NY or to my MIL's in VT and worked from their respective residence).

I have correctly allocated on my CT return (which I am filing to get a refund of the state tax withheld) that 0 days were worked in CT, so all of the withholding should be returned to me.

However, this is leaving me in a pickle with the NJ return as the wages on the NJ return are the sum of:

• spouse's full year W2 wages
  • my full year W2 wages
  • my CT W2 wages

So in effect it is counting the portion of my W2 that my employer considered me a CT worker twice. Is the fix as simple as making an adjustment on the wage income screen, reporting a negative number, and saying CT double taxed income? This doesn't seem quite right, but it does get line 15 on the NJ 1040 to be an accurate number. I am filing with a COJ for NY and VT and do say on those forms the portion of the wages that would be taxed by both NJ and the other state... but since I have no actual CT income, there is no credit to claim for that state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Why are my wages counted twice

Go back to the federal income section and edit the state section of the W2. The states have a copy of the form. This is where you get the program to properly tax income. Subtract the CO income from the NJ income for the program to have the correct income to tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies