turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I getting this message everything is listed exactly as seen on w-2 Hidden Fed to State: Employer name has too many characters.

Hidden Fed to State: Employer name has too many characters.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Why am I getting this message everything is listed exactly as seen on w-2 Hidden Fed to State: Employer name has too many characters.

When entering the employer's name in the Form W-2 section, enter as many characters as the program will allow. As long as you have the correct Employer Identification Number (EIN), and enter other information exactly as shown on the form, it can be processed without a problem.

See here for another discussion of this issue. The same applies to the employer's address - if it is too long, enter as many characters as the program will allow.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Chefjmc22

I had the same issue. I cannot figure it out. I tried shortening the name. Same message came up. 

ee-ea
Level 15

@Chefjmc22 

Shorten it some more.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you have to shorten the employer name to less than 30 characters, come back and tell us in what state and what value you are having this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies