Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ken712

Why am I being charge for turbo tax when it says that it is free?

I have used turbo tax for years and now that I am on disability it asked if I would like to file for free. I agreed but at the end of the filing my feel came out to be $144.86 for Self-Employment Taxes and for the State. I do not have any income for State and I only have a little for Federal, but I am still left with a charge of $144.86. Since I am on disability I am unable to pay this amount and now I have to file for an extension on my taxes. I also received from Turbotax that they can help me with my payments, but when I go online it only takes me to the same payment area. So, I am reaching out for help and understanding of where is the free part or the help. And all others that are saying that they are free or not free either.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
beamie65

I am guessing that you (whether intentionally or not) clicked the button that you wanted audit assistance. That and you may have said that you wanted to e-file both your federal and state taxes. I think it auto defaults to that, so if you want to mail your state taxes in, you have to make sure to change that. Federal e-file is the only thing that is free; state is always $25. So I always e-file my federal but print and mail my state. That would have only been $25 of your cost, though. Like I said, the only reason why you would have a bill as high as you do at the end is if you checked that you wanted audit help.

ee-ea
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies