Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which Turbotax Version Do I Need?

Trying to determine which version of TurboTax I need for 2023. I will be preparing a few tax returns for myself and my family. We need to file in 2 states. One or more returns may have itemized deductions and also require Schedule D (and maybe form 8949). 

Would there be a different answer if one return requires Schedule C? I do not need much guidance for Schedule C, as I am aware of available deductions. I assume if there is a Schedule C, Schedule SE will also be included if required.

May also need to prepare estimated taxes for 2024.

I will be downloading the software.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Which Turbotax Version Do I Need?

You can use any version of the CD/download TurboTax software. All versions have all of the forms to take care of everything you listed. The only difference between versions is the amount of detail in the Step-by-Step interview. Premier will give you extra guidance for investment sales (Schedule D and Form 8949). Home & Business will give you everything that's in Premier plus extra guidance for Schedule C. You could start with Premier, and upgrade if you feel that you need more help for Schedule C.

Deluxe and above will take care of itemized deductions, and will include one state program. You will have to pay for the second state. If you buy Deluxe from a third-party seller, not from TurboTax.com, make sure you get the version that includes one state. Online sellers often offer Deluxe both with and without the state, for people in states that do not have state income tax.

If you enter self-employment income or business income on Schedule C, TurboTax will automatically create Schedule SE.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies