Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which State do I report my tax if I am NC residence but have to go to California for a couple of month?

I currently worked as a NC remote working in my companies payroll.  My company is headquartered in California but also has satellite office in NC. Next year, I may be required to go to office in California for a extensive period of time ( a couple of months) for a project. In that case, in what situation can I remain my NC residency? Do I need to file CA tax return? I am thinking of living in hotel or airbnb, or rent an apartment. Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Which State do I report my tax if I am NC residence but have to go to California for a couple of month?

@tianwaifeixian pretty simple:

1) for the months you are in CA, you report that income as a non-resident of CA.  Pay the tax, whatever it is. File a non-resident CA tax return.  (complete this one first!)

2) then complete a NC resident tax return.  You will report all your income, including the income earned while in CA.  NC will give you a credit of approx. 4.25% times whatever you earned in CA or what you paid to CA, which ever is lower.  

you remain an NC resident.  Going to CA is temporary. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies