Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter ESPP ordinary income for a qualifying disposition?

I have a qualifying disposition ESPP sale. I am able to import the 1099-B form reporting the sale and adjust the cost base. According to https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/employee-stock-purchase-plans/L8NgMFpFX, I "will still need to report some ordinary income on your 2023 Form 1040, as "compensation."" How should I enter it in turbo tax 2023? None of the categories under "personal income" that seems fit for "compensation" or "ESPP ordinary income"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Normally, the ordinary income portion of the employee stock sale is reported on your W-2 form in box 1. It may or may not have a reference to it in box 14. It is not subject to social security tax, so you won't see it in box 3. If so, you just need to enter your W-2 form to report the ordinary income. If not, you can enter it as Other Income in the Less Common Income section of TurboTax,  which is in the Wages and Income section. Look for Miscellaneous Income at the bottom of the list, and on the next screen choose Other Reportable Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Normally, the ordinary income portion of the employee stock sale is reported on your W-2 form in box 1. It may or may not have a reference to it in box 14. It is not subject to social security tax, so you won't see it in box 3. If so, you just need to enter your W-2 form to report the ordinary income. If not, you can enter it as Other Income in the Less Common Income section of TurboTax,  which is in the Wages and Income section. Look for Miscellaneous Income at the bottom of the list, and on the next screen choose Other Reportable Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is very helpful. Thank you!

According to the IRS: "If your employer (or former employer) doesn't provide you with a Form W-2, or if the Form W-2 doesn't include the income in box 1, report the income on line 8k of Schedule 1 (Form 1040)".

Will reporting this as "Other Reportable Income" result into line 8k being populated in the IRS form? 

I tested this and the answer seem to be "no"--this results in the the income being reported on line 8z of Schedule 1 instead of 8k.

For what it's worth, even if you jump through the hoops to get the "native" TurboTax handling of ordinary income from ESPP dispositions, it still doesn't report it in the right place--I haven't figured out a way to get it to show up in 8k where it's supposed to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies