turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jweres

Where is the box to enter unearned split income for two different states. I understand how to calculate the split, I just do not see a place to enter the information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Where is the box to enter unearned split income for two different states. I understand how to calculate the split, I just do not see a place to enter the information?

Can you please explain what you mean by "un-earned income" and "split" ?  Is this a situation where you live in one state  and you have passive income like rental income from a different state  or what?

jweres

Unearned income includes income such as bank interest, dividents and stocks.  Yes this is a situation where you live in two different states in one year.  Turbo tax explains several methods for how to split these items, but it does not explain where you enter the splits.  I was able to find the box to enter split earned income.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

That is because generally such income ( bank interest , dividends etc. )  are reported on the  resident state return only.  Were you a resident two states ( i.e. voter reg,  driver's license etc ) ?   
If indeed you were bonafide resident of two states   (  A & B ) ,   say first three months in A and  second  nine months in B, currently in B ) then  you have the option of binning everything  to B OR you can indeed allocate  at least stock sales gains between the two .   Don't know the states involved  but I know that states like California  have an allocation worksheet where each of the federal categories of income  are indeed allocable  to California and another state.

You can search income allocation while in the non-resident state and TurboTax should open worksheet.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies