Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where/How do I enter summary information for Form 8949 Box C and Box F?

For the last several years, I've been able to simply enter summary information for boxes C and F on Form 8949, then attach a statement to be mailed in via Form 8453.  Easy.

For 2023, the interface has changed in TurboTax premier, and I cannot seem to find the right click path to generate this functionality.   Any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Bumping for visibility and to report what I ultimately did to solve the issue...

There is a bug in TurboTax's new 1099-B Step-by-step UI that will not ask if you want to enter summary information if you already have detail information elsewhere, even if it is for a different 8949 box (A through F).  Under Forms view, I found the Capital Asset Sales Worksheet for my manually entered 1099-B and entered the following (circled).   I also had to manually enter things that were automatic last year, such as including "see attached statement."  Thankfully, Form 8453 generated correctly after making these changes.  

image.png

Next year, I plan to do all my summaries for boxes C & F BEFORE I import any data from any financial institutions.  This is based on several other related posts found here and elsewhere concerning this issue. 

Needless the say, I would rather not have had to spend so much time fighting with the TT user interface to do something that should be very simple. 

Don't get me started about "fixing" things that aren't broken, and/or now attempting to force me to categorize asset sales when that data is not reported to the IRS.  I would much rather Intuit take the time and fix things that are broken, such as that ridiculously awful UI for entering individual transactions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Bumping for visibility and to report what I ultimately did to solve the issue...

There is a bug in TurboTax's new 1099-B Step-by-step UI that will not ask if you want to enter summary information if you already have detail information elsewhere, even if it is for a different 8949 box (A through F).  Under Forms view, I found the Capital Asset Sales Worksheet for my manually entered 1099-B and entered the following (circled).   I also had to manually enter things that were automatic last year, such as including "see attached statement."  Thankfully, Form 8453 generated correctly after making these changes.  

image.png

Next year, I plan to do all my summaries for boxes C & F BEFORE I import any data from any financial institutions.  This is based on several other related posts found here and elsewhere concerning this issue. 

Needless the say, I would rather not have had to spend so much time fighting with the TT user interface to do something that should be very simple. 

Don't get me started about "fixing" things that aren't broken, and/or now attempting to force me to categorize asset sales when that data is not reported to the IRS.  I would much rather Intuit take the time and fix things that are broken, such as that ridiculously awful UI for entering individual transactions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies