Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I put the income from the sale of my deceased dads house from the 1099S form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Where do I put the income from the sale of my deceased dads house from the 1099S form

If you did not live in the home and it was inherited follow the steps here to enter your sale.

Inherited property usually has a stepped up basis which means the basis would be the value on the date of death, as long as there were no transactions prior to death where the property was transferred into any of the children's names by gift or sale.  You would use only your share of the basis as your cost when entering the sale.

In TurboTax Premier:

• Federal Taxes Tab
  • Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Investment Income
  • Show more
  • Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, other
  • Follow the prompts
  • Type of investment would be "everything else"
  • Description
  • Select Inheritance (important - it's always considered held long term which provides a special tax break)

Attached are three screenshots (on one page) to help you through the process.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you did not live in the home and it was inherited follow the steps here to enter your sale.

Inherited property usually has a stepped up basis which means the basis would be the value on the date of death, as long as there were no transactions prior to death where the property was transferred into any of the children's names by gift or sale.  You would use only your share of the basis as your cost when entering the sale.

In TurboTax Premier:

• Federal Taxes Tab
  • Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Investment Income
  • Show more
  • Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, other
  • Follow the prompts
  • Type of investment would be "everything else"
  • Description
  • Select Inheritance (important - it's always considered held long term which provides a special tax break)

Attached are three screenshots (on one page) to help you through the process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies