turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Where do I find other childrens net qualified dividends/capital gain when turbotax sends me to 8615 line 5 worksheet but I don't have a line 5 worksheet for that child?

The issue has been fixed.  Please check again. 

If you are using online, the program should be automatically updated as you sign out and log back in.  If you are using the desktop, open the program, from the top, under Online, select Check for Updates and try to file again.

If it doesn't work, the last resort is after updating the program, remove the Form 8915 and re-enter the information.  

In TurboTax online, to delete Form 8615, 

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 8615 and Continue with My Return to proceed

In desktop, 

• Open up your tax return 
  • At the right upper corner, select Forms mode
  • In the Forms mode, the left side shows a list of all the generated forms, locate and click on form 8615
  • At the bottom of that form, click Delete Form

To re-enter,

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "kiddie tax" and Enter
  • Select Jump to kiddie tax
  • Follow prompts

@TaxesNVDN @saundersm @godzilla34

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where do I find other childrens net qualified dividends/capital gain when turbotax sends me to 8615 line 5 worksheet but I don't have a line 5 worksheet for that child?

not fixed...still can't find the info from line 5 for the 3 questions for other child , net qual dividend, net cap gain, cap gain, 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Try the following:

1. Go to the federal section of the program
  2. Select Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down to All Income
  4. Select Less Common Income
  5. Select Child's Income (Under Age 24)
  6. Proceed through the screens and verify your input.  You should see the following screen once you pass the screens to enter Child's Interest Income, Adjustments to Interest Income, & Tax-exempt Interest.

Child's income

You will be able to enter you information above.

Please comment if you are still having issues.

Agreed.  I am still being prompted to pull the Net qualified dividends, Total Net Capital Gain, Net Capital Gain from a Line 5 worksheet that is not being generated.

Not sure how you can call this fixed.

I called Turbotax customer service about this issue and spent 3 hours on the phone with them. I was told there was a problem with the 8615 form that was released by the IRS and their 8615 form has issues. I asked them to forward me the information in the form of an email. I'm really not sure how they could release this form to the general public knowing there is an issue.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you select the Pre-TCJA rate ( parent's rate), the Form 8615 worksheet line 5 information will be generated.  

If you select the TCJA rate (estates and trust's rate), the information will not be generated as the worksheet information will not be relevant in the calculation. 

If you select the Pre-TCJA rate, make sure you often return to check the right box on that screen asks if you select the Pre-TCJA rate, to make sure it's going through the parent's rate path.  

@JH12661

swaltz15

I am still having this issue. I do not know where to find the numbers for Net Qualified Dividends, Total Net Capital Gain and Net Capital Gain. A form 8615 Line 5 worksheet is not produced which is where the "Get Help" says to get the information from. The responses say this is fixed, but that's not my experience. Can someone help, please?

swaltz15

I selected No to the Pre-TCJA question as it had a significant impact to the tax owed by my child. In this case, you noted the worksheet is not produced as the information is not needed for the calculation. Is it just for the 3 lines in question or is it for all 5 lines in the Form 8615 calculations? The information within TurboTax is not helpful.

M H

I found the TurboTax advice here to be a bit misleading. 

To make this work, fill out the other child's return using the pre-TCJA option.  Ignore the Tax Due amount (which in my case was thousands more than my child even had as total income), and go to the Form 8615 Line 5 worksheet.  The amounts will line up with the requested information for the first child.  Once you capture/print that information, change the TCJA option back (the worksheet will disappear at that point).

TurboTax needs to make this clearer, but in the meantime I was able to make this work, and the IRS did accept my returns.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are using the TCJA rate, the entire Form 8615 line 5 Qualified Dividends and Net Capital Gain Worksheets would not show any data at all.  They are irrelevant in the calculation.  However, you should still have information shown on Form 8615 Part I and II.

@swaltz15Part 

I'd like to know if there will be an update from Turbo Tax to either 1) change the directions that direct to adding information from the Worksheet that is not created or 2) create the Worksheet information to be used, per the directions. I'd prefer not to use a workaround created by indicating, incorrectly, that I will use the Pre-TCJA, and then going back and changing it.  Thank you.

Hi. I posted the response/questions above, but haven't seen any response or further comments. 

At this point, not having any further info on if/when this issue will be addressed is very disappointing and preventing finalizing my return.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

iyerks111
Returning Member

I am having the same issue. I was able to delete one of my children's 8615, and not for that child, it shows that 8615 is not required because her investment income is less than 2,200 which is NOT true. For my other child, it is not deleting the Form 8615, even though it asks me for a confirmation and acts like it is deleting it. Can anyone shed any light on this issue.. Would I be better off starting from scratch again?

I am having=g the same issue.  My Turbo tax updated today (3/25/22) and the problem is not fixed. 

ARod22

I am using the desktop version, and it does not create a worksheet for my children for Schedule 8615.  This is very frustrating.

Is there any update on this issue. The instructions in the Turbotax 2023 Desktop are:

"

Other Children's Qualified Dividends
Enter the amounts from line A of the other children's 8615 Worksheet, page 2, Line 5 Worksheet, as the total qualified dividend amount.

Other Children's Net Qualified Dividends
From the other children's 8615 Worksheet, page 2,Line 5 Worksheet, enter either Worksheet 1, line H; Worksheet 2, line O; or Worksheet 3, line R as the net qualified dividend amount.

"

But none of my children have these worksheets generated. So I'm not sure where I'm supposed to get this information from.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies