Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I find my Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet from a prior year?

For some reason, Turbotax seledcted "yes" for "Is this return impacted by inaccurate TY21->TY22 conversion?" and wants me to enter these two amounts:

2021 Schedule D for AMT, line 7, per 2022 Capital Loss Carryover Wksht
2021 Schedule D for AMT, line 15, per 2022 Capital Loss Carryover Wksht

It appears to me it wants values from a 2022 worksheet, and not for me to use the amounts listed on my 2021 1040. I looked at my 2022 1040 and don't see any reference to "2021" values. Is the CLCO worksheet not actually part of the 1040 and a separate doc? If so, how do I find it to see what was entered? 
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet is a TurboTax form that is created within your return to calculate amounts displayed on actual IRS forms. This worksheet is part of your tax file for last year but may not have been printed when you finished your return.

You can retrieve this worksheet after you open your prior year return (see below) by printing either the entire return (including worksheets) or just the form you need.

If you used TurboTax Online last year, follow these instructions:

Sign in to your TurboTax account. Make sure you're using the same TurboTax account (same user ID) as in previous years.

There are two ways to get your prior-year returns.

1. Select Documents from the side menu, use the dropdown menu to choose the tax year you want, and select Download tax PDF.
  2. From Tax Home, scroll down and select Your tax returns & documents. Select the year you want and select Download/print return (PDF).

Note: If the year you're looking for isn't there, it might be in a different account. Go here to find all of your accounts. One of them should have the return you're looking for.

If you used TurboTax for Desktop:

1. Select the Start menu in Windows and select search.
  2. Search for *.tax2022 (or whichever year you are searching for, *.tax2021,*.tax2020, etc.).
    • Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it, as this can cause errors.
  3. In the left pane of the search results, select the > symbol next to the .tax file you're searching for. This will bring up information about this file in the right pane.
  4. In the right pane, select Open file location. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents TurboTax folder.
  5. After locating the tax file in its folder, open your tax return using the same version of TurboTax for that year. For example, open your 2022 return in the TurboTax 2022 program and your 2021 return in TurboTax 2021.
  6. Choose File >> Print from the menu (black bar) in the TurboTax header.
  7. Check the button for "Specific Forms" and the box beside "Carryover Worksheet" in the forms list to the right.
  8. Save as PDF or Preview and Print.

For more help:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I used Turbotax last year and downloaded the return as instructed, but there is no form called "Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet." There is only the schedule D. There are a couple other worksheets included so I know it's the full package and not just the return, but none form capital loss carryover. Is it possible I didn't have this worksheet if I didn't have a capital loss carryover in 2022? I did have a short term capital loss over the $3k limit, but when added with my long term, I had a net capital gain and no loss to carryover. If so, what would I enter for the amounts Turbotax is asking me since I can't reference the worksheet it's instructing me to use?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Correct, if you were not carrying over a loss, you would not have the form. You can enter zero or leave it blank.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies