Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter the health insurance premiums I paid as a self-employed person (CPA says should be personal, not business deduction). I bought direct, not exchange.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Where do I enter the health insurance premiums I paid as a self-employed person (CPA says should be personal, not business deduction). I bought direct, not exchange.

I am using "Home Business 2017", not the free online version (the website just defaulted to saying that).

Self-employed health insurance premiums are deducted in the business section using the instructions below:

• Go to Federal > Income & Expenses
  • If you have not set up your business, answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
  • Continue through the interview to enter your business information.
  • When you get to the Let's Review Your Work Info screen, make sure everything is correct and then click Looks Good
  • On the Let's get income for work screen, select the type of income you want to enter and click Continue.
  • Proceed through the rest of the interview to enter your income.
  • When you get to the What kind of expenses did you have screen, scroll down to select Less Common Income, expand that section and then click select Health Insurance Premiums
  • Continue
  • On the next page, scroll down to the Expenses section and click Start next to Health insurance premiums
  • Proceed through the interview to enter your health insurance premium amount

My CPA advised that this should be deducted as a personal expense, not a business deduction.  My health insurance is not associated with my company (sole proprietor LLC).

I can even follow this path.  I'm stuck in a loop where the section "Self-Employed Health Insurance" just says it "must be entered under the corresponding business, farm, ...".  The page does not link to anything. The help menu points to the same page. And under my business I get back to this same dead-end page.

I followed Tonita's path above and it properly placed my self employed health insurance deduction on line 29 of the 1040. I am not sure what your CPA meant by a personal expense - whether he meant do not enter it on your schedule C as a business expense and enter it on line 29 of your personal 1040 or he meant enter as an itemized deduction on Sch A because you do not have net profit for example. Usually its entered on line 29 as Tonita explained above. As far as the page not linking to anything or being dead end I can't replicate this issue. You may want to delete your schedule C worksheets and re-enter the info if you can't get past this error.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies