Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter investment loss?

I invested about $60,000 in a friend's restaurant in 2017, but the restaurant completely went out of business in 2019. I did not receive any income whatsoever from this investment, so I lost my entire $60,000. How would I enter this information on my 2019 taxes? I did not receive any tax forms reporting this loss.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Were you an owner in the business in exchange for your investment? Were you receiving a K-1 or any similar tax form in prior tax years? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I wasn't an owner, and didn't receive any tax forms at any point. I just held informal shares we called "subscription units" entitling me to a percentage of annual profits. But they never turned a profit, so I never received any income.

I think I see it under Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other. Is that correct?

There wasn't a "sale" of my shares per se, as the business just went under. Would I simply enter $0 under "Proceeds", and $60,000 under "Cost basis"?

Thank you

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. You have it. This is considered a Nonbusiness Bad Debt. Even though this was related to a business transaction, you were not the business owner. The transaction will be reported on Form 8949 and summarized on Schedule D. You can only deduct up to $3,000 of losses against earned income each year. You will carry the losses forward until used in full through offsetting future gains or the $3,000 per year deduction. You can see more information in the link below:

Bad Debt Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies