turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

susanehr

Where do I enter health ins reimbursements?

How do I report health reimbursements?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you were reimbursed in the same year you paid the medical bill, there are 2 ways to handle it:

1. Just don't enter any expenses that you were reimbursed for.

2. Enter all your medical expenses. At the end of the medical expenses interview, you will be asked if there were any reimbursements. Enter the TOTAL reimbursements, at that point.

If you were reimbursed, in 2018, for expenses paid in a prior year, you do not need to enter it anywhere (it is not taxable), UNLESS you got a deduction for the expenses, in a prior year.  If so, it goes on line 21 of form 1040 (Schedule 1) as "other income". If that is your situation, reply back for detailed instructions on how to enter in TurboTax

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Usually nowhere unless you deducted them in a prior tax year .... is that what happened to you?
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you were reimbursed in the same year you paid the medical bill, there are 2 ways to handle it:

1. Just don't enter any expenses that you were reimbursed for.

2. Enter all your medical expenses. At the end of the medical expenses interview, you will be asked if there were any reimbursements. Enter the TOTAL reimbursements, at that point.

If you were reimbursed, in 2018, for expenses paid in a prior year, you do not need to enter it anywhere (it is not taxable), UNLESS you got a deduction for the expenses, in a prior year.  If so, it goes on line 21 of form 1040 (Schedule 1) as "other income". If that is your situation, reply back for detailed instructions on how to enter in TurboTax

Returning Member

how do you enter into Turbotax a  refund of a prior year medical reimburement for which you took a deduction in the prior year?

@722489 wrote:

how do you enter into Turbotax a  refund of a prior year medical reimburement for which you took a deduction in the prior year?

You need to determine whether or not the amount of the reimbursement reduced your tax liability for the previous year.

If you are reimbursed in a later year for medical expenses you deducted in an earlier year, you generally must report the reimbursement as income up to the amount you previously deducted as medical expenses.

However, don't report as income the amount of reimbursement you received up to the amount of your medical deductions that didn't reduce your tax for the earlier year.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2018_publink1000179110

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies