turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter ACA Health Insurance Premium Rebate as income when filing Schedule C vs. A?

In 2023, I received a Premium Rebate from my healthcare provider for premiums paid in 2022 due to the "80/20" rule.  In 2022, I deducted healthcare premiums (after premium tax credits) as a business expense on Schedule C, and I did not file a Schedule A -- nor am I filing one for 2023.  I believe I should account for this rebate as additional income.  In the post below, it says to do this on Schedule A, but this is not applicable in my case since I did not deduct the expense on Schedule A the previous year.  Rather, it seems like this should be reported as business income on Schedule C.  The most logical place I can see to do this is Schedule C line 6 Other Income.  Is this correct?

Similar post from 2021:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/do-i-have-to-include-as-income-the-health-insuran...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter ACA Health Insurance Premium Rebate as income when filing Schedule C vs. A?

Yes, claim the recovery the same way you claimed the expense.

If you claimed the expense on your Schedule C, claim the rebate as income. List it as "Miscellaneous" and name it "Premium Rebate" so the IRS will understand if they look at the return. 

According to the IRS:

"A recovery is a return of an amount you deducted or took a credit for in an earlier year. The most common recoveries are refunds, reimbursements, and rebates of itemized deductions. You may also have recoveries of nonitemized deductions (such as payments on previously deducted bad debts) and recoveries of items for which you previously claimed a tax credit."

"Total recovery included in income. If you recover an amount that you deducted in an earlier year when you were figuring your AGI, you must generally include the full amount of the recovery in your income in the year received."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies