Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter a retirement stipend received to offset health insurance in retirement?

My wife receives a monthly stipend in retirement as her retirement package.  Her former employer sends a 1099-MISC, with the annual amount in Box 3.  TT continues to classify it as income earned for services performed, as if she is a consultant or independent contractor.  However, the allotment is a retirement benefit and not for any services provided.  It should be noted that this is the first time her former agency has given a benefit package for a retiring Executive.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter a retirement stipend received to offset health insurance in retirement?

You enter the income in the Form 1099-MISC entry section in TurboTax, as it appears you have already done. In order to have the income appear as other income as opposed to self-employment income, you need to first indicate that it is not associated with work like your main job:

And that you only received it in 2023:

And that you didn't have an intent to earn money:

Those questions are designed to determine if the income will likely be considered to be self-employment income by the IRS. They won't appear on the tax return, so if you are sure the income isn't self-employment income, you can give those answers and the income on your Form 1099-MISC will be properly reported on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You enter the income in the Form 1099-MISC entry section in TurboTax, as it appears you have already done. In order to have the income appear as other income as opposed to self-employment income, you need to first indicate that it is not associated with work like your main job:

And that you only received it in 2023:

And that you didn't have an intent to earn money:

Those questions are designed to determine if the income will likely be considered to be self-employment income by the IRS. They won't appear on the tax return, so if you are sure the income isn't self-employment income, you can give those answers and the income on your Form 1099-MISC will be properly reported on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies