Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MovieCane
Returning Member

Where do I enter a K-1 that is paid to my sole-proprietorship?

The income for my sole-proprietorship comes almost exclusively from a guaranteed payment on a K-1. I don't see a place to put the K-1 under business income. Do I just put it in personal income? I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You would enter the guaranteed payment in the K-1 section of the TurboTax program. 

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p541#en_US_202203_publink1000104261

If you are receiving a guaranteed payment from a partnership or multi-member LLC (which defaults to partnership treatment), then you are a partner in the partnership or member of the LLC. The payment is also subject to self-employment tax. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You would enter the guaranteed payment in the K-1 section of the TurboTax program. 

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p541#en_US_202203_publink1000104261

If you are receiving a guaranteed payment from a partnership or multi-member LLC (which defaults to partnership treatment), then you are a partner in the partnership or member of the LLC. The payment is also subject to self-employment tax. 

MovieCane
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply. So I guess the question becomes what we put in the business income section, since the business income comes primarily from the K-1 guaranteed payment?

If you are receiving a K-1 for services performed for the partnership, then you are a partner for the purposes of the income reported on the K-1, not a sole proprietor (although you would be considered to be self-employed).

If there is some other sort of arrangement between you and the partnership (i.e., you are not a partner, but are an independent contractor who performs services for the partnership), then you should not be receiving a K-1 as a tax reporting statement (most likely it would be a 1099-NEC). If that is the case, then you need to speak with the party responsible for preparing the tax reporting statements for the partnership.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies