Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbn17

How do I indicate that my self-employment income is NOT from a qualified business?

I have self-employment income from a business that is a specified trade (financial services involving traded securities), so I don't think it's qualified, but TT is saying I get the qualified business income deduction. How can I force TT not to take the QBI deduction?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I indicate that my self-employment income is NOT from a qualified business?

You may still qualify depending on total income and filing status. 

"Specified service trade or business (SSTB), which includes a trade or business involving the performance of services in the fields of health, law, accounting, actuarial science, performing arts, consulting, athletics, financial services, investing and investment management, trading, dealing in certain assets or any trade or business where the principal asset is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employees. This exception only applies if a taxpayer’s taxable income exceeds $315,000 for a married couple filing a joint return, or $157,500 for all other taxpayershttps://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-provision-11011-section-199a-qualified-business-i...

But if you don't want it you can click Tax Tools>>Tools>>Delete a Form>>Delete next to Qualified Business Income Worksheet.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You may still qualify depending on total income and filing status. 

"Specified service trade or business (SSTB), which includes a trade or business involving the performance of services in the fields of health, law, accounting, actuarial science, performing arts, consulting, athletics, financial services, investing and investment management, trading, dealing in certain assets or any trade or business where the principal asset is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employees. This exception only applies if a taxpayer’s taxable income exceeds $315,000 for a married couple filing a joint return, or $157,500 for all other taxpayershttps://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-provision-11011-section-199a-qualified-business-i...

But if you don't want it you can click Tax Tools>>Tools>>Delete a Form>>Delete next to Qualified Business Income Worksheet.

dbn17

OK. But when I look at the actual QBI worksheet, the box for "Check if specified service trade or business" is not checked. How do I get TT to figure this into the calculation?

Did you enter a business code?
dbn17

Where do I do that?
dbn17

The current code is 523900. This seems appropriate. What financial services/securities codes trigger TT to check the SSTB box on the worksheet?

Is your income less than the allowed amount? That code should be fine.

Overall, if your income is below the threshold, it will not require any change in calculation.  The calculation is the same whether or not your business is a SSTB if your income is not over the threshold. So, if you went in and upped your income to be over the threshold, it would remove the deduction.

I know you were posting about this last year, but I cannot figure out how to get to the Box I need to check to indicate that my business is an SSTB. I need to generate Form 8995-A Schedule A and can't until I figure out where this Box is to check. I know my business is a SSTB and my income lies within the phase-in range.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you don't want it you can click Tax Tools>>Tools>>Delete a Form>>Delete next to Qualified Business Income Worksheet.

The SSTB (specified service trade or business) designation reduces or eliminates the 20% Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction at higher income levels.

Because the official definition of an SSTB can be vague and open to interpretation, expanded definitions and examples are given below.

Keep in mind: The SSTB label is irrelevant if your 2020 t

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies