Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I see the extended deadline for filing and payment with Turbotax - Los Angeles County CA?

We live in one of the counties (per FEMA disaster declaraion) included in the filing extension deadline of Oct 16, 2023.

I don't see this extension anywhere within our TurboTax Premier desktop software.  I've tried simulating the e-file process and there's nothing.

Where can I see the extended deadline for filing and payment with Turbotax - Los Angeles County CA? 

Or,

How will TurboTax handle it if we file after April 18th but before Oct 16th, 2023?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax doesn't know if you filed an extension unless you did it through TurboTax - which is not required.   You can e-file through 10/16/23 whether or not you file an extension.   If you are sure you are due a refund, you don't need to file the extension.   And if you are in a disaster area, the extension is automatic.   However, if you want to file the extension, you can do so here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You have until 10/16/23 to file and pay since you live in one of the affected areas.    You won't see anything on TurboTax, but you can file and pay your taxes anytime before the deadline without penalty.    You won't notice any difference between filing today and filing on Oct 15th.   Just file and pay when you are ready - - but before 10/16/23.   

IRS extensions

CA state extension

Thanks for the response.  Under normal circumstances (without this FEMA extnsion), does Turbotax detect late filing and notify the taxpayer about penalties, etc?  Or is the software completely oblivious to filing deadlines?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, under normal circumstances TurboTax won't let you arrange to pay after the filing deadline. 

2022 is an exceptional year in that many people have automatic extensions due to federally declared disasters. 

Under normal circumstances, I heard that people have to file an extension with the IRS, outside of the TurboTax software (fill out a form and mail it or via an online website), and then file using TurboTax like normal. 

How does TurboTax know whether the taxpayer has filed for an extension (by mail or via a website)? 

BTW, in our case, we're due a refund ... so no tax payment due. 

I just need to figure out if TurboTax will allow us to file beyond April 18th but before Oct 16th ... or if we need to file for an extension first just to be on the safe side. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax doesn't know if you filed an extension unless you did it through TurboTax - which is not required.   You can e-file through 10/16/23 whether or not you file an extension.   If you are sure you are due a refund, you don't need to file the extension.   And if you are in a disaster area, the extension is automatic.   However, if you want to file the extension, you can do so here.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies