Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find tax payment for RSU shares traded to cover taxes?

Turbotax says I owe an unusually high amount of federal taxes this year (2023). The problem seems to be the RSU shares that were traded to cover taxes. I'm not confident they are properly credited against my taxes paid.  When I delete or add these transactions, my total owed does not change, and the amount owed is roughly equal to the amount that was sold to cover the RSU shares that were released.

I have compared the return with previous years that also had RSU shares, and can't figure out what is different.  Where would these tax payments typically be documented and credited?

When I filed, I entered this amount as "Other withholding", but now the IRS is asking for documentation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

as a generality because your specific info isn't known but when you get RSU's income is added to your w-2 for X units you got at some value. Y units are sold to cover the taxes. thus, you have tax basis in the units sold which would be Y times income added to your w-2 for x units divided by X. 

what is the broker showing as tax basis. is it as above. 

withholding for the exercise would be on your w-2. whether it was sufficient to cover the actual income taxes is a different question. Talk to your payroll or human resource department to get any info you are missing.  

Your employer issued a form 3922.  It shows the basis of each transaction.   The 1099-B normally shows a zero basis and that is why you are seeing so much tax owed.  Edit each transaction of the 1099-B and change the basis of zero to the basis on the 3922.  Each time you edit one you taxes owed will decrease.  If you cannot find your 3922 then contact your employer for a copy of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies