Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I deduct my Qualified REIT Sec 199A Dividends from 1099-DIV? The Intuit Assist gave me instructions but the link "Explore on my Own" doesn't seem to exist.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Where can I deduct my Qualified REIT Sec 199A Dividends from 1099-DIV? The Intuit Assist gave me instructions but the link "Explore on my Own" doesn't seem to exist.

Q. Where can I deduct my Qualified REIT Sec 199A Dividends from 1099-DIV? 

A. TurboTax does it automatically. 

Enter your 1099-DIV at:

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

-Interest & Dividends

- Dividends on a 1099-DIV

At the 1099-DIV screen, check the box "My form has info in more than just these boxes".  You enter the section 199A dividends in box 5.

That one entry causes TT to claim the Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction and fill out form 8995.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Enter your 1099-DIV manually; instructions are below and linked here.  

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open (continue) your return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu, then Wages & Income.
  3. Locate the section titled Investments & Savings and click open to Edit/Add.
  4. Click Yes on the screen Did you have investment income?
    • If you see the screen Your investments & savings or Here's your 1099-DIV info, select +Add investments.

Skip the import, scroll to the bottom and choose Enter a Different Way, select 1099-DIV, then Continue.

1. Enter Payer's name and EIN
  2. Mark the box that says My form has info in other boxes (this is uncommon).
  3. Enter your REIT dividends in Box 5.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

there is no direct deduction for REIT dividends. They are included in box 1 of the 1099-DIV and are taxable. What you get is a 20% deduction of that amount that appears on line 13 of the 1040. you may have to review form 8995 to see the computation. however, if you're using online you have to pay first before you can see the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies