Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where and how do I get my ECN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PandoraS

You will be able to obtain your Electronic Confirmation Number (ECN) from HealthCare.Gov to claim exemptions. If you haven't gotten one you are going to have to follow up with the Marketplace. If you don't have it by tax time, you can try filing for another hardship exemption using your troubles with getting an exemption as a hardship.

Not all exemptions need a confirmation number, so double check the list above to see your options.

Once you obtain your ECN from HealthCare.Gov, please follow the steps below to enter that information into TurboTax:

• When asked, Did you have health insurance coverage in 2015?, select either the second or third option, depending on your 2015 situation, and Continue.
    • If you had insurance part of the year, select the months you had insurance for and Continue.
  • On the Did, you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? screen, scroll down to Applied for a penalty exemption and select Got an exemption certificate number from the Marketplace and Continue.
  • On the Let's get your exemption certificate number (ECN) screen, select or enter the requested information and Continue.
  • We'll submit this info with your tax return and the tax penalty will be waived for all months and people the ECNs apply to.

If you don't receive the ECN from the Marketplace, please follow the steps below:

• On the Did, you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? screen, scroll down to Applied for a penalty exemption, and select Applied but haven't heard back. and Continue.
    • If you applied for an exemption through a Health Insurance Marketplace but haven’t heard if you were approved yet, you can get a preliminary waiver of the tax penalty.
    • This means you can file your taxes with no tax penalty taken out. Once the Health Insurance Marketplace reviews your application, they’ll let you know if it’s approved or you still need to pay a penalty.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
PandoraS

You will be able to obtain your Electronic Confirmation Number (ECN) from HealthCare.Gov to claim exemptions. If you haven't gotten one you are going to have to follow up with the Marketplace. If you don't have it by tax time, you can try filing for another hardship exemption using your troubles with getting an exemption as a hardship.

Not all exemptions need a confirmation number, so double check the list above to see your options.

Once you obtain your ECN from HealthCare.Gov, please follow the steps below to enter that information into TurboTax:

• When asked, Did you have health insurance coverage in 2015?, select either the second or third option, depending on your 2015 situation, and Continue.
    • If you had insurance part of the year, select the months you had insurance for and Continue.
  • On the Did, you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? screen, scroll down to Applied for a penalty exemption and select Got an exemption certificate number from the Marketplace and Continue.
  • On the Let's get your exemption certificate number (ECN) screen, select or enter the requested information and Continue.
  • We'll submit this info with your tax return and the tax penalty will be waived for all months and people the ECNs apply to.

If you don't receive the ECN from the Marketplace, please follow the steps below:

• On the Did, you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? screen, scroll down to Applied for a penalty exemption, and select Applied but haven't heard back. and Continue.
    • If you applied for an exemption through a Health Insurance Marketplace but haven’t heard if you were approved yet, you can get a preliminary waiver of the tax penalty.
    • This means you can file your taxes with no tax penalty taken out. Once the Health Insurance Marketplace reviews your application, they’ll let you know if it’s approved or you still need to pay a penalty.
T B

I need my ecn number

Where and how do I get my ecn

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Starting with the 2019 plan year (for which you’ll file taxes by July 15, 2020), the federal fee for not having health insurance no longer applies. If you don’t have coverage during 2019 or later, you don’t need an exemption to avoid the penalty.   Related content:

What kind of ECN are you looking for or what are you trying to report or fill out?   Is this for a particular state return, if so, which one?     @diablorivas13

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am asked a ecn number for my california tax return, where do i get this?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

@mistyvander

Since you're in California and this is for your California return, you'll get your ECN from Covered California, the California healthcare marketplace.

In California, ECN stands for Exemption Certificate Number.

Yes, that I know but cant get any response form covered california, thanks.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can also try to chat with them using the link below.  They are the only entity that will be able to assist you.

Contacting Covered CA options

@mistyvander

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies