turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rasool77
Returning Member

Wher is my second economic stimulus payment

• Mine is scheduled for Monday I hope he comes
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Damiano123 The IRS will not issue guidance on how to take advantage of new tax legislation until it is passed. However, it is possible that a refund check would be issued automatically in the case of unemployment,  since the IRS will know what your unemployment amount was since it's on your tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.  And regarding my first question, have there been delays with issuing direct deposit refunds this year?  I did my taxes through TT on Feb 12th.  Much appreciated.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, e-filed returns are being processed in the normal time frame.  The IRS estimates refunds for e-filed returns should arrive in less than 21 days after filing.  There is an exception if you claimed the Earned Income or Additional Child Tax Credit on your return though.   These returns (Path Act returns) do not start getting processed until a few weeks after e-filing opens each year.  So, those returns just started being processed this week.   If your return has those credits, it is being processed now.   Keep checking the IRS website.  

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015 (the PATH Act), was enacted on December 18, 2015. The PATH Act contains several changes to the tax law that affect individuals, families, businesses and help safeguard against tax fraud.    @Damiano123

Thanks, Dawn.  There were no special credits on my return, so hopefully I will get my refund this week without issue.  Trying to obtain info on the IRS site is like searching for a shell in the ocean with my initials on it.  I've never been able to discern any info from the IRS website - ever.    I enter in the exact refund amount, filing date, all of my info, and it never has information for me, and I file taxes every year.  Any way, thanks again.

Hi, Catina

I'm a little frustrated, so forgive my impatience.  I filed through TT on Feb 8th and was told I should have my refund by March 5th.  As of today, March 9th,  I've not only not received my refund but cannot obtain any info through the IRS per their site or their automated phone service.  I'm concerned at what this means and how long their process will take for me to receive my refund.  Right now, I'm assuming they're may be an issue because I did not receive stimulus payments last year due to my mistakenly checking (or forgetting to uncheck) the box that noted me as someone's dependent.  This was not the case, and resulted only in my not receiving stimulus payments last year.  This year I made sure this was not done, and noted I did not receive stimulus payments and that was factored in on my refund.  I can only assume this is the hold-up, but I have no idea since the IRS is not forthcoming other than their inaction of withholding my refund.  Any insight here will be welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks very much.  

Hi, Dawn

I'm a little frustrated, so forgive my impatience.  I filed through TT on Feb 8th and was told I should have my refund by March 5th.  As of today, March 9th,  I've not only not received my refund but cannot obtain any info through the IRS per their site or their automated phone service.  I'm concerned at what this means and how long their process will take for me to receive my refund.  Right now, I'm assuming they're may be an issue because I did not receive stimulus payments last year due to my mistakenly checking (or forgetting to uncheck) the box that noted me as someone's dependent.  This was not the case, and resulted only in my not receiving stimulus payments last year.  This year I made sure this was not done, and noted I did not receive stimulus payments and that was factored in on my refund.  I can only assume this is the hold-up, but I have no idea since the IRS is not forthcoming other than their inaction of withholding my refund.  Any insight here will be welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks very much.  

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I think you are saying that your 2019 Federal tax return reported that you were a dependent and you did not receive either stimulus payment. 

However, your 2020 Federal tax return did not report that you were a dependent and you believe that you should receive both stimulus payments as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.  If:

• You have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return,
  • You are claiming a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, and
  • Your tax return has been accepted by the IRS. 

The IRS says that it will issue 9 out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days.  However, we will see what approach the IRS takes in your situation.

I suspect that the IRS will scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Recovery Rebate Credit. We do not know how much delay that the IRS will incur in your case.

IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time.  For stimulus payment questions, call 800-919-9835.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center for further developments.

Thank you, James.  For the life of me, I don't know how the box ever got checked that noted I was a dependent.  I do both my wife's and I's taxes (we file separately), and she got her stimulus payments last year without issue.  Now that this annoying error was made, it looks like it will incur an even further delay from the IRS in my receiving this.  Very frustrating.  Thanks again.

What is the time span by which the IRS should communicate something regarding my tax refund?  Their website and auto-mated phone service only tells me that they can't provide me any info, which is enormously frustrating, especially as I did my taxes back on Feb 8th and should've received my refund last week.  

I mistakenly had checked that I was a dependent last year, which I still don't know how that happened, and it resulted in my not receiving stimulus payments.  This year I made it a point to make sure this box was not checked, and it appears that this is likely causing these delays.

Also, when they ask for my refund amount, I assume I'm providing them with what is on my tax return and not the actual money I'm to receive minus what I owe in state, yes?  

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to the IRS Where's My Refund tool, you enter the refund from line 35a on your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return.

The IRS says that it will issue 9 out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days.  However, if: 

• You have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return,
  • You are claiming a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, and
  • Your tax return has been accepted by the IRS.  

We suspect that the IRS will scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.  We do not know how much delay that the IRS will incur in such cases. 

Implementation of the American Rescue Plan will further strain the resources of the IRS.  IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time.  For stimulus payment questions, call 800-919-9835.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center for further developments.

I must say that I am baffled how this issue developed.  In previous years, I never noted that I was a dependent, yet somehow, the last two years that I have been doing my taxes through Turbo Tax, it appears to have defaulted and said I could be claimed as a dependent.  Even when I did my taxes through H & R Block in 2017, the standard deduction section had a pre-checked box that noted to uncheck only IF I could be claimed as a dependent.  It's strange how this field (on 1040 forms) seems to vary.  In previous years, when I had an accountant do my taxes, I can't even find this section on the forms in my records.  My frustration is that this has resulted in 1.) not receiving my stimulus payments last year (a year when I obviously took a considerable income hit and was well below the $75,000 income level), and 2.) it's now resulted in a delay of my refund and, possibly, another delay in the forthcoming stimulus payment.  With the IRS revealing nothing,  I am left to check the IRS site every day (in seeming perpetuity) until I receive a resolution, with the only guarantee being that Turbo Tax will be paid almost $200.    Sorry to vent, but when income is currently at a drip, it is indeed frustrating to be in the dark like this regarding money that I am entitled to.  Thank you.

Leejr1965
Returning Member

I have not received my second headquarter assemblers check I have received the first and third but I have not received the second now this is getting rid of a different

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Leejr1965 You should have filed for the missed second stimulus on your return.

If the IRS says you received it and you did not, see Topic F: Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received to have it traced.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies