Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When MFS, reporting joint income and joint mortgage interest

My spouse (separated) will not agree to file jointly, so we are married filing separately but have three things to settle. We are in NY (not a community property state). I've had a hard time finding answers to this.

1) We have one joint bank account for which I received a 1099-int. Only my name and ss# is on it (not sure why) but it was a joint account. Can we split it however we want (50/50 for example, or even 100/0) so long as the total interest adds up to the correct total on the 1099

2) We have a Wealthfront account that has 1099-B short- and long-term gains and losses plus a 1099-div. The 1099-B has tons of sales, then computes a combined total for short- and long-term. Both names are listed (mine first), and my wife doesn't care if I claim the whole thing. Can I report the whole thing, the 1099-div and combined 1099-B, and she report nothing? Then can I use the combined amounts, which very much simplifies the return?

3) Finally, we have a 1098 listing both names for mortgage interest. Same question as #1 - can this be split however we wish, like 50/50 or 100/0 (where only one of us would list it). We are both taking the standard deduction so maybe it doesn't even matter.

Thanks so much.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies