Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What steps should a foreigner take to get a mortgage?

I am a foreigner and I want to take out a home mortgage in the USA. I think it's a good way to invest in your future. Home ownership can give me financial stability and a sense of community. I know that as a foreigner it will be difficult for me to get a mortgage, but I hope I can find a mortgage company that specializes in mortgages for foreigners. What steps should a foreigner take to get a mortgage?
What documents will I need?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

find a mortgage broker in your local community and ask them if they have helped foreigners obtain a mortgage.  each lender is going to have different standards.

are you a Green Card Holder? I suspec it is really going to be hard to borrower if you are a NonResident Alien. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I don't understand the question.  A mortgage is borrowing money, it is not an investment.  Buying a home is an investment, and often requires a mortgage if the buyer can't pay cash.  

Do you want to invest in other people's mortgages?  Where you lend out principal and get regular payments of interest?  Or do you want to buy a home, and are thinking about getting a mortgage to help pay for the home?  Could you afford to pay cash instead?  (Because then we have to talk about other investments and opportunity cost.)

find a mortgage broker in your local community and ask them if they have helped foreigners obtain a mortgage.  each lender is going to have different standards.

are you a Green Card Holder? I suspec it is really going to be hard to borrower if you are a NonResident Alien. 

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your advice to find a mortgage broker in my local community and ask them if they have helped foreigners obtain a mortgage. I will definitely do that.

I am not a green card holder yet. I am a non-resident alien, so I suspect it will be really hard to borrow money for a mortgage. However, I am still going to try my best to find a lender who is willing to work with me.

I know that each lender has different standards, so I am going to have to do my research and find a lender who is willing to consider my unique situation. I am also going to have to put together a strong financial package to show the lender that I am a good borrower.

I know that it will be a challenge, but I am determined to make it happen. I want to buy a home in this country, and I am not going to give up until I achieve my goal.

Thanks again for your comment. It was very helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies