Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jerry019

What's the tax rate if my wife work overseas?

My wife and I got married overseas last year, and she stayed abroad for the entire year, only coming to the United States on the last day of the year. If we file our taxes jointly this year, she can be considered a tax resident for the previous year. If she earned $60K overseas, and according to the foreign earned income exclusion rule, her income can be excluded (Under120K). If I earned $12K in the United States last year, how is our tax rate calculated? Because her income is exempted, does filing jointly result in a higher tax refund, or is it similar to filing separately? Since her income is exempted, is the refund amount the same as if we assume she had no income or property?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

What's the tax rate if my wife work overseas?

1. Your tax rate will be based on taxable income.

2. A US Citizen is required to report all worldwide income. Are you both US Citizens or is one or both you dual or non US citizen? Since you are looking at the 2555 to exclude income -if she meets the rules for the days out of the country, you can file the form. It is not based on a calendar year. If the income can't be excluded, you can include it and claim a credit for foreign tax paid on the Form 1116.

Married filing jointly is almost always better. See Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?

3. I can't answer what your refund will be but based on filing joint with only one income, it will be the same however you get to that point.

Please see  Nonresident Alien Spouse | Internal Revenue Service and Resident Aliens | Internal Revenue Service for information on filing and claiming.

References:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies