turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bgstehle

If I stated I wanted to have the charges taken from refund and changed my mind and now want to pay by card how do I change it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If I stated I wanted to have the charges taken from refund and changed my mind and now want to pay by card how do I change it?

Have you already filed?  
bgstehle

no
bentleyg17
Returning Member

What if u already filed? How do u change it? Can I call turbotax and pay by debit card?

bentleyg17:
If you already filed, it's too late to change the fee payment method, unless an efile return is rejected.  If rejected, you can remove that "pay out of refund" method and pay upfront with credit/debit card.

When you choose that method to pay the fees, there is a banking agreement that gives permission for a third-party company (SBTPG) to open a temporary bank account in your name to receive your refund.   That third-party receives your funds from the IRS, subtracts the TurboTax fees, then sends the rest on to you in a second deposit.   Then they close that temporary bank account that was set up for you.

If you chose the option to pay the TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund, that payment method has a 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers, where it is bundled with Premium Services.)

As long as you have not yet filed, you can remove that option and pay your product fees by credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.

Here's how to remove it, depending on your location:

Filers in all states except California:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900517-how-do-i-remove-the-refund-processing-service

California filers (where it is in the "Premium Services" bundle) :
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2154391-how-do-i-remove-the-premium-services-fee

I choose to pay from federal return changed my mind paid by credit card before I actually filed. How do I make sure that the fee won't come out of federal and be paid by credit card?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

You can monitor your credit card activity and if it is charged the processing fee, then it will not be taken out of your refund.

@mydog2years

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies