Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Julie826

What if I'm being claimed as a dependent on my parent's taxes?

@Carl .................Carl, if my son (who meets the dependency requirements) has an excess of 13k in scholarships, and his 1098T was reported on our taxes, it seems that by his filing a return, we would be paying taxes on that twice, once on our return and once on his.  This is so confusing (I think that's on purpose so they can squeeze more blood out of the turnip.)
Carl
Level 15

If scholarships and grants exceed the "qualified" education expenses, then you will not claim any education expenses on your tax return. The student will claim them. But you will still claim the student as your dependent.
Re-read the above answer very carefully. Only one of you can claim the education expenses, deductions and credits. Period.
Julie826

So, to clarify, I did not need to include his 1098-T on my tax return then?  And, his tax due would equal Scholarship Amount - Tuition on 1098T - qualified expenses (books/labs) = Taxable Amount?  Thank you so much!
Carl
Level 15

You are correct. You will still claim the student as your dependent. But the student will report all education stuff on the student's return. Just to make sure you're not using dashes, I'll put it in words.
The student will pay taxes on the scholarship received, minus qualified education expenses paid with that scholarship.
Julie826

Thank you.
dcapano23

What if the student is a  Full Time Grad student (in Law School) has $16,000 in  scholarships, we can claim him as a dependent and he only made $5,283.00 in 2016  He is filing taxes to get his small refund back.  The 1098-T's are under his name and SS #.  So he will be the one showing this on his taxes correct?

Was he under the age of 24? If not, you can't claim him because he made more than $4050. If he can be claimed as a dependent by you, you are the one who can claim qualified expenses paid out of pocket or with loans for credit. If he had scholarships that paid for non qualified expenses such as room and board, they must be claimed on his tax return. If he can't be claimed as a dependent by you, everything is entered on his tax return only.
dcapano23

Yes, he is only 22
dcapano23

What if all of the loans are in his name?  His scholarships went all towards tuition

It doesn't matter who actually paid the tuition and fees or whose name the loans are in, the credit is claimed on the tax return of whoever claims the child as a dependent.
dcapano23

So one more question.  Do we even show the scholarship since it all went towards law school and no non qualified expenses since he moved back home?

Enter everything that is on the 1098-T. If the scholarship was used for tuition and fees, it will reduce the amount of qualified expenses that can be claimed for credit on your return but it will not be taxable if it was only used to pay for qualified expenses.
dcapano23

Thank You Texas Roger You are a life saver
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies