turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When filing Married Jointly does turbotax give a breakdown forom each partner?

This is my first year married and filing jointly, im a nurse and my wife is a stay at home wife taking care of our children but she has income. My question is when filing will it say something like for instance from a 10k refund 5k is from john and 5k is from sarah (a breakdown of what money in refund came from each partner)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, Turbotax does not do that because that is not the way that the tax system works. Your tax is calculated on your total joint income, not on each individual piece.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No, Turbotax does not do that because that is not the way that the tax system works. Your tax is calculated on your total joint income, not on each individual piece.

So lawfully no matter which partner made more income, this would be shared 50/50?

The refund is made out in both of your names. You can split it up in any way that you see fit.

I think what you're getting at DavidMoses is, how should we split up the cost of taxes. I think really, in order to do that (assuming relatively equal earnings and expenses) you're going to need to look at how much tax you owe together as a couple, divide that  by your individual proportions of your joint income, and subtract your individual tax prepayments. Depending on your individual tax situation that might not lead to a fair distribution of tax costs.

What I think is fairest (although it's sort of a bother) is to look at what the results would have been if you each filed a Married Filing Separate return.  The joint return will produce a better tax result.  Split that "bonus" 50/50.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies