Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do when the 1099-B I received from Blockfi doesn't match what they reported on my Transcript. What do I do with the check box that states "The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099‑B"?

All of my transactions for 2022 on Blockfi were conversions of stablecoins (USDC and GUSD) back to USD so there were no profits made on trades. The profits made were on "interest" but those are all reported separately on the 1099-misc.

The 1099-B I got from Blockfi clearly shows that the cost basis is the same as the proceeds. However, when I view the Transcript on IRS.gov, the cost basis isn't reported. I presume it's because the crypto is a "non covered security" therefore Blockfi isn't required to report the cost basis.

I've been entering each transaction into Turbotax manually. 

In the "Sales Section Title" I've been selecting "Short-term cost basis not reported to IRS" and filling in the cost basis.

I'm confused whether I'm required to check the box that states "The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099‑B" on Turbotax. Again, the cost basis is on the 1099-B I received from Blockfi but it's not there on the 1099-B on the Transcript. 

update: Last question is how do I enter this in batch using the csv template provided by Turbotax? The template has no columns or instructions on designating that this is a crypto transaction and that it's a short term non-covered security. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What do I do when the 1099-B I received from Blockfi doesn't match what they reported on my Transcript. What do I do with the check box that states "The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099‑B"?

I'll page @Mike9241 

The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099‑B"?

The box refers to the 1099-B in your hands, not the record at the IRS.

If the 1099-B is correct you don't go down that path.

@yoshl 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies