Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if I receive two 1099-NEC forms from the same place (same Payer's TIN)?

Hi all,

I received two separate 1099-NEC forms from the same place (same Payer's TIN). Each of these has different nonemployee compensation amounts. During the year I moved from New York to New Jersey, and I see each of the forms uses a different address - one New York, one New Jersey. 

How do I fill this?

Many thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

What do I do if I receive two 1099-NEC forms from the same place (same Payer's TIN)?

You will enter both Forms 1099-NEC into the Self-Employment section and they will both count toward your federal income. 

However, when you are allotting your income between New York and New Jersey for the Part Year-Resident state returns, you will allot the income in the state where you physically were when you earned it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the quick response. This makes sense.

When you say "when you are allotting your income between New York and New Jersey for the Part Year-Resident state returns, you will allot the income in the state where you physically were when you earned it.", how do I specify when I enter the 1099-NEC which states this was given for? I don't see an option of doing that, other than assuming the forms had information in boxes 4-7 ticked (which none of the forms had).

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

You will not need to change anything when you enter the Forms 1099-NEC in the federal return. 

When you fill out the My Info section, at the beginning, from the left menu bar, it will ask if you lived in any other states.  If you answer Yes, it will generate questions when you are ready to enter your state Part Year returns for New York and New Jersey.  They will each have a section where they will show your federal income by different types and ask which portion should be allotted to this state, so you are not double taxed for the same income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks again for the response and help. This makes sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies