Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msa620001
Returning Member

What can I ask for from the CPA I'm leaving?

After many expensive years, with many mistakes (!), I've decided 2022 is the last year I'll rely on my CPA.  Plan to move to TT for 2023 and beyond.  As I pay my final CPA bill, is there information/data I should request from him that will make the transition to TT as easy as possible?  Any chance they would have a data file, for example, that could be uploaded into TT?   Other things to request before we part ways?  thx

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If your return is complex enough to allow mistakes, then there must be carryover information that you will need going forward.

This would be in worksheets marked "Keep for your records".

@msa620001 

Carl
Level 15

Basically, tell your CPA you want a print out of everything with no exceptions. You'll want all calculation forms and worksheets that show the money flow. If your return is complex you can expect the printout to be well over a hundred pages. I myself have W-2 income, self-employement income and I own a few rental properties. My printout every year is about 180-200 pages.  To save time see if they can provide you a PDF file with everything in it. But I still suggest you print it out for your records, as there's no such thing as "lasting forever" when it comes to electronic storage media. You can also expect to pay a small fee for this too.

Also, it will not be possible to "import" anything from a CPA provided in an electronic file. In your first year of using TurboTax, you'll have to enter "everything" manually, one keystroke at a time. 

msa620001
Returning Member

Great, thanks.

msa620001
Returning Member

Unfortunately, the mistakes were typically simple things...like forgetting to include HSA contributions that we had informed him about.

90% of the worksheets TurboTax prints out are of no interest to the customer.

That's why you use tax software, so you can ignore them.

@msa620001 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies