Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What are GoFundMe tax consequences for helping others?

I am starting a GoFundMe page for helping a friend pay for their expensive medical treatment. The expensive medical treatment will be approximately $10,000. My friend would receive all of the $10,000. Will I have to pay taxes on the $10,000? Will GoFundMe send me any tax forms? What type of income will this $10,000 be reported as on my personal income tax return? Will my friend have to pay taxes on the $10,000? Will GoFundMe send my friend any tax forms? What type of income will this $10,000 be reported as on my friend's personal income tax return? If anyone could please provide any tax advice then I would greatly appreciate it. Please answer all my questions soon.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you get a form requiring reporting of the income you would report it and then report it again with a negative amount with the explanation of “pass through of GoFundme account “. The funds are a gift so the recipient will owe no tax and doesn’t have to report them. 

@bchu3 it is quite unlikely you or the recipient would receive any tax forms as a result of gifts on GoFundME. 

Gifts to friends are not reported on an income tax return - and that is the recipient or the donor.  

if the recipient is a non-profit, they must send you a reciept for the gift and that document supports the contribution should you itemize.

Gofundme isn't a third party payment platform (like VENMO), so they wouldn't be issuing 1099-Ks. 

Suggest you ask your questions to GoFundMe directly.  Interesting, there is no mention of tax reporting on their website under FAQs. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies