Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We received dividends on stock and reinvested the dividends, where do I enter the reinvestment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

We received dividends on stock and reinvested the dividends, where do I enter the reinvestment?

Q. We received dividends on stock and reinvested the dividends, where do I enter the reinvestment?

A. That does not get entered anywhere, on your tax return, or in TurboTax.  You enter it on your records to keep track of your cost basis (you broker/mutual fund company is probably doing that for you).

The dividends are taxable. The fact that you used the money to buy more shares (reinvested it), does not get you out of paying tax on that "income".  But, most dividends ("qualified dividends") are taxed at the long term capital gains tax rate, which is less than the tax rates on ordinary income. 

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Enter the re-invested dividends in the Interest and Dividends section and report as it is shown on your 1099-DIV. 

If you are using an online version, type '1099-Div' in the search box of your open return, then select the 'jump to 1099-Div' link, to get started.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies