turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dennis-B-

We pay 100 percent of the cost of caring for my 99 year old mother-in-law. She lives with us. We have significant care expenses. How do I claim the expenses?

we also pay a caretaker to come in and help. She will take her to her house on occasion. How do I claim the cost of paying the caretaker.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We pay 100 percent of the cost of caring for my 99 year old mother-in-law. She lives with us. We have significant care expenses. How do I claim the expenses?

If she has less than $4,700 in income then you can claim her as a dependent and claim dependent care credit if the caretaking is required for you to work. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The expenses likely qualify as Medical Expenses deductible on IRS Schedule A Itemized Deductions.  The expenses would be reported as personal care under Medical Expenses.

IRS Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses, page 10, states:

Maintenance and personal care services

Maintenance or personal care services is care which has as its primary purpose the providing of a chronically ill individual with needed assistance with the individual’s disabilities (including protection from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment).

Such personal care services may qualify as medical expenses deductible on IRS Schedule A Itemized Deductions.  You can only deduct unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI), found on line 11 of your 2023 Form 1040.

To receive a tax benefit, you have to itemize deductions on Schedule A, and your total itemized deductions including deductible medical expenses, state and local taxes, home mortgage interest, and charitable contributions, must be greater than your Standard Deduction.

You can include medical expenses you paid for your dependent.  A person generally qualifies as your dependent for purposes of the medical expense deduction if both of the following requirements are met:

• The person was a qualifying relative, and 
  • The person was a U.S. citizen or national or a resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.

A qualifying relative includes:

• A person who is your parent or parent-in-law,
  • Who was not a qualifying child on a tax return, and
  • For whom you provided over half of the support in 2023.

See also here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies