turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbachawat1979
Returning Member

We have 2 W2's and our employers deducted 1.45% on the first 200k in wages and then an additional 0.9% for wages over 200k i.e 2.35%.

I am using the Turbo Tax Premier Desktop version. The software is calculating additional medicare taxes we owe on top of what our employers deducted as below 

Total W2 income less 250 k for married filing jointly and the multiplying by 0.9% . The amount is then added to the taxes due. Are we double counting and over charging the additional medicare tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

We have 2 W2's and our employers deducted 1.45% on the first 200k in wages and then an additional 0.9% for wages over 200k i.e 2.35%.

TurboTax is following the tax law. That's the way it works. You can see the calculation on Form 8959. You might want to look at the IRS Instructions for Form 8959.

The additional tax from Form 8959 line 18 goes to Schedule 2 line 11. It's included in the total additional tax on Schedule 2 line 21, which goes to Form 1040 line 23 and gets included in your total tax.

But note Part V of Form 8959, which calculates your total Additional Medicare Tax withholding. That additional withholding, from line 24, goes to Form 1040 line 25c and is added to your other withholding, so it partially offsets the additional tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies