Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ray1
Level 3

Washsale between 2 accounts when at year end all positions are closed

Do I need to ask my brokers to adjust their 1099B forms when I have had same securities traded on both accounts and resulted profit and losses, while I have closed all of the positions in both accounts by year end? or since there is no carry-over to next year, it doesn't matter? In reality I'll claim all profit and losses for 2022 and I am planning not to trade those securities at least for 31 days after the last trade.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@Ray1 - if you closed out all the positions in both accounts and do not trade for 31 days, there can be no "wash-sale" 

technically, some of the trades may have been subject to washsales, but since you closed out all the positions by year end (and won't trade them for 31 days),  the tax reporting will not be adversely impacted.  

you can ask the broker. will they do it  - don't know. does it matter?  maybe! because with wash sales the holding period of the wash sale shares adds on the holding period of the replacement shares thus possibly converting short-term gains/losses into long-term.

also while you closed out all positions by the end of 2022 if you buy replacement shares in January 2023 during the 30-day period after the sale of shares at a loss you will have a wash sale that will affect 2022. 

Ray1
Level 3

yes, thats what I thought. thank you

you are responsible to make your own wash sale accounting adjustment if you use two different accounts.

transactions with adjustments must be reported in detail on Form 8949.

Since you closed everything, what would be the point ?

Maybe you are the fastidious type or one who fears the IRS will jail them (like my sister), but the net gains/loss is still the same on that security.

replacement shares is a misnomer,

the IRS terminology is identical security.

@Ray1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies