Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sid13
Returning Member

Wash sale loss-Is this too much to pay for ignorance

I am a new trader, an active trader. I was not aware of the wash-sale rule. In my tax year, I had twice the losses compared to the profits and net capital losses on brokerage investments. But it turns out that my brokerage has reported most of those losses as wash sales, so only the profits are being taxed.

(For example, if you had made 100 K in profits and 200 K in losses only 100 K of your profits are taxed because 200K of losses are wash-sales, so you end up paying 35K odd taxes on your profits if you are paying income tax in that bracket and I feel those 200 K of losses are gone forever with nobody to remember this).  

Net-net, I am paying an enormous tax bill even when I made capital losses. This is like a double hit on my finances. I am not a financial or tax professional, and trading was new to me. But I feel this is the right thing to do. 

I am writing this discussion to ensure that new traders do not lose enormous amounts of their hard-earned money by trading. And as long as you have good paying job, I discourage trading. It is a very very high price to pay for the ignorance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Wash sale loss-Is this too much to pay for ignorance

The losses are not gone forever. What you describe is a timing difference. If you have a wash sale loss, that loss will be added to the cost of the stock you acquire and if it is then sold beyond the wash sale period it will reduce the gain on sale of the stock. So, you will get a deduction for the wash sale loss eventually, just not in the current year in your case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies