Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ruthw

Was full time employed in 2018, had employer high ded ins coverage and only Medicare Part A, how do I answer the question "did I have Medicare at any time during 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Was full time employed in 2018, had employer high ded ins coverage and only Medicare Part A, how do I answer the question "did I have Medicare at any time during 2018?

As you have Medicare Part A, you must answer Yes to this question. As you are covered by Medicare, you cannot contribute to a HSA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My husband turned 65 in 2018, signed up for Part A (hospitalization) because he was told he had to sign up for Medicare, had high deductible medical insurance, contributed to his HSA because no one told him he couldn't,  was never hospitalized so has never had a claim approved.  Do I still click on Medicare or none for the months after he turned 65 and enter all the HSA information anyway?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You do need to report that you had Medicare, as it will affect your HSA contribution limit for the tax year. This can result in an excess contribution.

If it turns out you did have an excess contribution, the following applies. Generally, you must pay a 6% excise tax on excess contributions. See Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts, to figure the excise tax. The excise tax applies to each tax year the excess contribution remains in the account.

You may withdraw some or all of the excess contributions and avoid paying the excise tax on the amount withdrawn if you meet the following conditions.

• You withdraw the excess contributions by the due date, including extensions, of your tax return for the year the contributions were made.
  • You withdraw any income earned on the withdrawn contributions and include the earnings in "Other income" on your tax return for the year you withdraw the contributions and earnings.

Pub 969 Tax-Favored Health Plans

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies