Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


How to update w4? Married filing jointly and always get a large refund back from federal. Just had a baby which takes dependents to 2 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Hi BlessedSRT!  Congratulations on your newest one!  It is always a good idea to update your Form W-4 when you have a life change.  There is a W-4 Calculator that will take you step-by-step through the worksheet,


 As of today, for tax year 2022, the Child Tax Credit has reverted to $2,000 per child dependent 16 and younger, with only $1,500 refundable.   Also, you must have earned income of at least $2,500.


Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.


Hope you find this helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings