Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W4 Withholding Inquiry

I'm a single Mom who files as Head of Household and have always claimed my daughter as a dependent but I ended up paying taxes in 2022 for the first time in 20 years as I had to change my filing status from Head of Household to Single as my daughter made too much money for me to claim her and she filed her own taxes. She is now no longer living with me.

I want to avoid having to pay taxes for 2023. In April I changed my allowances to 1on my State W4 as well as changing my status to single on both state and federal W4's. 

Does changing status from Head of Household to Single put me in a different tax bracket? 

My last paycheck for 2022 (when still head of household and claiming a dependent and myself) deducted $314.45 for Federal Income Tax and $176.17 for State Income Tax and my take home pay was $1,968.29.

My current paycheck for 5/5/23 (after changing to single and only claiming myself) deducted $317.40 for Federal Income Tax and $189.59 for State Income Tax and my take home pay was $2,017.13.

Federal and State deductions are pretty equal to before and after my W4 change but I'm bringing home about $50 more.

I am a salaried employee and I looked at the 2023 Federal Income Tax Bracket and I would fall into the 22% tax rate for filing single.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BonnieI
Expert Alumni

W4 Withholding Inquiry

Hi @Dolly1olly 

Thanks for reaching out today.  To answer your question 'Yes' changing your filing status does change your withholding amounts.  Below is a link that shows the difference in tax brackets:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/current-federal-tax-rate-schedules/L7Bjs1EAD

Below is a useful links to help you determine your estimated income and withholding for 2023.   Start with the W4 Withholding Calculator.

TurboTax's TaxCaster tax calculator

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/

Hope this was useful information and please reach out if you have additional questions.

*Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies