Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nmartens
Returning Member

W2 Importation

I chose to import my W2 from a PDF file on my computer. Turbo Tax returned an error message: "
could not import. Be sure to be connected to the internet."

I have two questions. It didn't give me any more details on why it failed to import the W2. The message says to be sure I'm connected to the internet. Why do I need that if I told it to import from a PDF file on my computer? The W2 on my computer is a scanned image of the entire W2 page I received. In other words, it has several 'forms' on one page: Employee Reference Copy, Earnings Summary, Federal Filing Copy, CA State Filing Copy, City or Local Filing Copy. Could this be confusing the program?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

W2 Importation

Just enter the W-2 manually. 

nmartens
Returning Member

W2 Importation

That's not really the answer to my question.  I'd like to know why it failed and why does the message indicate that I should be on the internet when I'm trying to upload from a local PDF file.

Just to start the conversation, without understanding the inner workings of the product, I gave what I would call a reasonable guess.  Tell me I'm wrong.

Thank you.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

W2 Importation

It depends on whether you are using TurboTax Online, or TurboTax software installed on your computer.

If you are using TurboTax Online, you are trying to import the form from your computer to the TurboTax Online website, so you would need to be connected to the internet. 

If you are using TurboTax software, and you are starting by entering your EIN on the page that says, Let's start with a bit of info from your W-2, the program is‌ trying to pull the information from your employer, not from the PDF on your computer. 

Make sure that this is where you are trying to upload your PDF:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account, or open your return in the software.
  2. Select  Wages & Income.
  3. To the right of Job (W-2), select Edit/ Add.
  4. Select Add new W-2.
  5. Leave box b blank and select Continue.
  6. Select Upload it from your computer, and follow the on-screen directions to complete the upload.

If this doesn't resolve the issue you are having, respond back and TurboTax can help you further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nmartens
Returning Member

W2 Importation

That worked.  The key was leaving box b blank.  Maybe for next year a comment might be added to the page about leaving that box blank.  I would never have thought to leave a box blank that it was specifically asking for.  When a program displays a box (especially if it's the only box on the screen) that normally means to enter something.

But here's something interesting.  I deleted the W2 then started all over with 'adding a new W2'.  This time I entered the employer ID #.  I got the same screen with the option to upload from my computer.  It opened Windows explorer and I selected the W2 file.  Then I get the message it could not be uploaded.

I wonder what the difference is between supplying the employer ID # versus leaving it blank.

Anyway, I've got loaded.

Thanks for your help.

W2 Importation

Close pdf while you're uploading, otherwise you'll get error.

W2 Importation

Close pdf while you're uploading as it's not completely available for uploading, so that's why you get error.

nmartens
Returning Member

W2 Importation

I might try that but I have a workaround-leave the employer ID blank.

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies