Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 from NY has 2 states : NY (my nonresident state) and PA (my resident state). I didn't have any income from PA. W2 repeated same amount earned in NY for box 16 NY, box 16 PA, and Box 1. Turbotax for PA tax shows my income two times of the amount

I am a student in PA  and doing remotely part-time internship in NY. I didn't have any income from PA (no W2 from PA). W2 from NY repeated same amount earned in NY for box 16 NY, box 16 PA, and Box 1. Box 17 has value for NY but it is empty for PA.

I put both states in box 15 and repeated same amount in box 16 as it is shown in W2 for my federal tax. There is no problem in my federal tax and NY tax. I filled fist federal and then NY tax in Turbotax. When I get to PA tax, my total income is two times of my income in NY  as it shows I had two incomes one from PA and one from NY with the same company!

Should I not put both states for box 15 and 1box 6 when I fill federal tax? Or should I edit the income for PA while doing PA tax and check mark non taxable for PA income (it doesn't let me to delete it as Turbotax transfer info from W2 entered in federal tax) ? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

W2 from NY has 2 states : NY (my nonresident state) and PA (my resident state). I didn't have any income from PA. W2 repeated same amount earned in NY for box 16 NY, box 16 PA, and Box 1. Turbotax for PA tax shows my income two times of the amount

Go back to your W2 and delete the PA line. You are a PA resident, you get taxed on the money. Those boxes are informational That is where your employer is showing the state of PA the amount they believe you should be taxed on. PA already has the information. Delete all state information for PA on your W2..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Go back to your W2 and delete the PA line. You are a PA resident, you get taxed on the money. Those boxes are informational That is where your employer is showing the state of PA the amount they believe you should be taxed on. PA already has the information. Delete all state information for PA on your W2..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies