Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


I have had difficulty in accurately adjusting my husband and my W-4's. I've utilized different resources and still have not had good success.  

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Hi Blamanus, thanks for the question.


Below is the re-designed Form W-4 from tax year 2020 and onwards.

Form W-4 Employee’s Withholding Certificate


If both of your jobs are of very different pays, please do Step 2 (b), and enter result in Step 4(c) Extra withholding. Find the intersection of "higher paying job" and "lower paying job" on page 4, then divided by remaining pay periods.


If both of your jobs are of similar pays, then check the box on Step 2 (c).


Other ways to have "good success":

More taxes withheld - The simplest way to increase your withholding is to enter in Step 4© the additional amount you would like your employer to withhold from each paycheck. Or, Reduce the number of dependents.


Less taxes withheld -

  1. Increase the number on line 4(b)
  2. Reduce the number on line 4(a) or 4(c)
  3. Increase the number of dependents.

Hope the above helps!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings