W-4 Married Jointly Stepchildren. I have always claimed 0 single, and my wife, 2 head of house before our marriage. We're married now. Do we both claim 2? Her 2, me 0? Or both 0? These are my step-children to. I just want to know what each of us should claim.
If she is used to getting the Earned Income Credit then you are going to be very surprised when you file a joint return this year ... when completing a new W-4 form for your employers you must use the multi income section to compute the correct withholding.
If you are using the downloaded program you may want to complete a couple of "what if" or "test" returns to see what filing jointly will look like for you this year...
If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can
>>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy:
1. Open your return in TurboTax.
2. From the File menu, choose Save As.
3. Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name).
4. Click Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original.
>>OR use the WHAT IF tool:
- Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view)
- Click on the Open Form Icon
- In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form
- You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form
- To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1
Just got married? How will it affect your taxes? You'll have to choose a tax filing status, adjust your withholdings, and coordinate tax-favored benefits at work.
Info on Getting Married…..
Is it better to file Joint or Separately?