Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

W-4 changes/HoHH

I had a baby in March of this year. I live in SC and am currently claiming 01 for federal exemption withholding and 00 for state exemption withholdings.  I have not changed them since giving birth. I would like to know if I should change my exemptions to avoid owing taxes in 2023.

Also, I am single, but own a home. Is head-of-household an option for me now?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

W-4 changes/HoHH

Hello sherondajohnson!


Congratulations on the birth of your child!!


Yes, you need to fill out a new W-4 to include the little one and change your tax filing status to HOH, as you correctly mentioned.


  • In Step 1: check the HOH box
  • In Step 3: add your dependent in the first line by entering $2,000 as indicated on the form.
  • Since you own a home, you will most likely be using the itemized deductions which should further reduce your taxable income.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings