Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fullerene
Returning Member

W-2 Box 12 W

My in Box 12 of W-2 $6050 is listed. That was all my deduction and employer contribution thru pay roll. But when I worked on HSA, it showed that this amount was an excess contribution. It was listed as a taxable contribution. I got confused. I did not have this issue before. I am filing married jointed. The limit for 2023 was $7000. How should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

W-2 Box 12 W

You have to go through the HSA questions and tell TurboTax about your HDHP plan.  Once that is updated, the income will be nontaxable.  We recommend revisiting the HSA entry screens to make sure the excess contribution wasn't due to an entry error. Here's how:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for hsa and select Jump to hsa.
  3. Answer the questions until you get to the Let's enter your HSA contributions screen.
  4. Make sure you didn't accidentally re-enter the amount already listed (from box 12 of your W-2) as this will incorrectly double your total contribution amount.
  5. Continue through the HSA screens, making sure you answered all questions correctly.
    • If you overfunded your HSA last year but withdrew the excess by the due date of your 2022 return, answer No to Did you overfund your HSA in 2022?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies