Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

Entered info for W-2.

Have non qualified 457 plan disbursement income and entered amount in Box 11.

Getting error message even though I think that I entered data correctly:

"The total amount of Sect. 457 state distributions does not match with the amount of Sect. 457 distributions reported on the federal return. Adjust the state entries as needed."

Double-checked the entries and they seem to be correct.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

questions:

***W-2***

1. What amount do you have in box 11?

2. What amounts do you have in boxes 16 and 18?

3. What state are you referring to?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

Box 11 = 91,000.

Box 16 = 91,000.

Box 18 = 0

State = PA

BillM223
Expert Alumni

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

While I reproduce this, please read this PA ruling and see if it applies to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jgdemeritt
Returning Member

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

I can't figure out how to start a new thread, so am replying to something similar.  After the last update of TT Premier, my wife's W-2 has a simple IRA, which I click "S" for a description.  This box now appears in pink and the form is showing as incomplete.  Prior to the last update it worked as it usually did.  Anyone know why this is?

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

I have the same situation as JCC457 and am getting the same error message.

TT has changed something here.  At the end of the W2-entry dialog, TT asks "Did you take money out of your nonqualified pension plan" and gives me two choices:  Yes, I took this money out, or No, this is money I contributed.  In years past, I would simple answer correctly and say Yes.  No errors and e-filed OK.

But this year something has changed.  When I answer Yes, TT pops up a NEW entry area asking me to enter the state and the amount (even though I have already entered this in the previous part of the dialog).  There is even a big blue ADD button, suggesting TT thinks it likely I would be entering multiple states (?).  And I note the error message says "adjust the state entries," plural.

When I enter my state (NC) and the amount, TT gives me the error message JCC457 reported.  In the TT-generated W2 form, NC and the amount have been added, and the amount is shown in red.  If I return to the dialog and attempt to change the amount in the pop-up to zero, a red warning will not allow me to do this.

I went back, and changed my original answer to "No, this is money I contributed" (which is incorrect) and TT then reported no errors in my return.

The error message makes no sense to me.  There has got to be a TT error in this new change.

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

I have the same error.  State of MN.  The numbers entered are exact match to the penny.

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

I went back to 2022 and added this W2 as a test.   The Forms View shows that a new section to W2 was added in 2023:

11 (cont) Sect. 457 and nonqualified plans State Allocation

For each row, enter state ID in col (a) and amount in col (b)

This is when the error comes up in 2023 that the amount in this 11 (cont) is not the same as in 11.  Even when the amount is actually the same in my 2023 return.

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

This just happened to me.  I’m in AZ.  Never had any problems and I’ve been using TT for 8 years. On the phone with rep now

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

This just happened to me.  I’m in AZ.  Never had any problems and I’ve been using TT for 8 years. On the phone with rep now

The only way to fix it is to  do what that guy said about checking off the wrong thing which says I’m contributing rather than receiving.  That’s the only thing that worked.  The TT person is going to research this and fix the glitch 

Frazier1

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

Same problem. TT won't let me submit as it appears to be in this error loop of just sending me back to the same "check this entry" page. Any solution found yet?

rmikhail
Returning Member

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

Same issue in PA as the OP.  Triple-checked the numbers and everything matches.  Had the same situation last year (2022) with no issues.  

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

I have been testing this issue for a while to see if I could determine what was causing the error.  Similar to the last several years, I had a distribution from a non-qualified plan in 2023 and entered my W-2 using EasyStep like normal.  However, when looking at the forms menu, Form W-2 showed an error.   When I opened the form, the error was indicated in the State Allocation field of Box 11 even though it matched exactly what was automatically posted in the first two fields.  I eventually rounded the amount in the second field to match the rounded amount that TurboTax automatically posted on Schedule 1, line 8t.  TurboTax then automatically updated the amount in the third field (State Allocation amount) to that rounded amount and the error went away.  From the testing I found that the second field (Distributions from sect. 457 and nonqualified plans) creates the error when cents are included.

For a simple example, let's say you receive only one W-2 and the amount in box 11 is $100.85.  When you enter that W-2 using EasyStep, TurboTax automatically posts that amount on Form W-2 in all three amount fields of Box 11 and displays an error in the last field.  If you change the amount in the second to $101.00 to match the TurboTax-rounded amount shown on Schedule 1 line 8t, the third field automatically changes to $101.00 and the error goes away.  If you want, you can change the amount in the third field back to $100.85 with no error.  In fact, you can change the amount in the third field to any amount from $100.50 to $101.49 with no error.  I feel pretty sure the software is not properly handling cents and rounding correctly in this situation.  

The state allocation fields in Form W-2 Box 11, (a) State ID and (b) Amount of distributions for state, are new this year (at least for my version TurboTax).  For reference, I am using the desktop version of TurboTax 2023 Premier on an iMac running macOS Ventura 13.6.3.

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

Unfortunately, dropping the cents doesn't work for me -- I still get the error.  Has anyone else had success with this work-around?

W-2 Box 11 glitch?

Same problem in IL. I followed your advice and rounded entries to nearest dollar. All errors disappeared!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies