Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using TurboTax Home & Business, how do I file a 1099 MISC for a subcontractor I paid and where is this expense reflected in the both the EasyStep and Forms sections?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

Using TurboTax Home & Business, how do I file a 1099 MISC for a subcontractor I paid and where is this expense reflected in the both the EasyStep and Forms sections?

General subcontractors in your business industry can be entered under 'contract labor' line 11.  However, you can deduct contractor amounts under the applicable expense category (schedule C lines 8-27). For example, a marketing contractor could be entered under 'advertising' on line 8 or payments to your lawyer may be entered under 'professional fees' on line 17.  

To enter these expenses in the TurboTax Self-Employed Edition, follow the instructions below. 

1. Log in and click Take me to my return
  2. Click Federal Taxes and then Income & Expenses (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Next scroll down to Self-Employment and click Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next Income & Expenses
  5. Next, click Edit next your applicable Self-employed business.
  6. Click Add expenses for this work and on the next screen you'll see a listing of the common business expenses (including those mentioned above).
  7. Scroll down and click Less common expenses. Additional expenses will show and you'll see Contract labor listed.
At step #2, if you do not have a Federal Taxes tab then instead click the  Business  tab instead and then:
  • Click Continue and then select I'll choose what I work on 
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Business Income & Expenses 
  • Then click Edit next to the applicable Self-employed Business 
  • Scroll down to the Business Expenses section and click Start/Update next to Other Common Business Expenses 
  • Next, you'll see a listing of all the expense categories discussed above including Contract labor.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

General subcontractors in your business industry can be entered under 'contract labor' line 11.  However, you can deduct contractor amounts under the applicable expense category (schedule C lines 8-27). For example, a marketing contractor could be entered under 'advertising' on line 8 or payments to your lawyer may be entered under 'professional fees' on line 17.  

To enter these expenses in the TurboTax Self-Employed Edition, follow the instructions below. 

1. Log in and click Take me to my return
  2. Click Federal Taxes and then Income & Expenses (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Next scroll down to Self-Employment and click Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next Income & Expenses
  5. Next, click Edit next your applicable Self-employed business.
  6. Click Add expenses for this work and on the next screen you'll see a listing of the common business expenses (including those mentioned above).
  7. Scroll down and click Less common expenses. Additional expenses will show and you'll see Contract labor listed.
At step #2, if you do not have a Federal Taxes tab then instead click the  Business  tab instead and then:
  • Click Continue and then select I'll choose what I work on 
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Business Income & Expenses 
  • Then click Edit next to the applicable Self-employed Business 
  • Scroll down to the Business Expenses section and click Start/Update next to Other Common Business Expenses 
  • Next, you'll see a listing of all the expense categories discussed above including Contract labor.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies